Life in the Eyes of John

A blog on life, love, people, cars, and everything I can think about...

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

...or is it?

Let's put it this way: I'm about a thousand miles away from home (Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam), celebrating - or trying to celebrate, that is - a new year with a group who misses good ol' Philippines. I've been out here since the 2nd week of December.

I've been trying to reach my Katrina May, but the network is just clogged. I was able to greet my folks, though. Iwan na lang ng text; tawag na lang ako bukas.

I miss the Philippines. I know I'm the deadbeat, not-so-emotional kind of guy, but there were two dishes - Pinoy dishes - that shook me. Sweet-style spaghetti and tokwa't baboy.

Heck, I'm never a fan of the sweet-style spaghetti. In fact, I disliked it so much (I'm Italiano, hehe). But on that Christmas Dinner with some Pinoy folks staying here in Vietnam... it tasted so delicious, I wanted to go home. It made me miss home. Alam ko na Pinoy lang ang gumagawa ng sweet-style pasta. Had to admit Erwin's a great chef, though.

I brought some pizza from Pizza Inn, and for tonight, there was tokwa't baboy. I'm a pizza nut, but I went on to eat tokwa't baboy instead.

It made me think about the many new years that passed, and how I took them for granted. Perhaps I didn't see this coming, or because I sort of "got bored" of the usual things. Maybe it's just the tradition rooted in my veins that's sending signals to my senses. Maybe I miss being at home after all. I miss my girl, that's for sure.

To you idiots who don't see how special these days are, slap yourselves and admit you're idiots. Trust me, there's just that really big chance you will miss it, just like me.

And for all you happy people out there, who understand what this is all about... Happy New Year to you. May the pig be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home