Life in the Eyes of John

A blog on life, love, people, cars, and everything I can think about...

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

3 Foot Drop

I like playing basketball. It's one of the few sports that can really make me sweat off fat without getting bored. In fact, I require a serious weight-shaver.

Last Saturday was Basketball Saturday with my former classmates back in high school. There were only nine of us, so it became a four-on-five whole court basketball game. I was part of the team with only four members, giving me a chance to burn more fat.

The game was friendly, sometimes even comical, but intense. We don't ruin the game; we make it challenging for each of us. Besides, it's more fun that way.

Sometime in the second game, the opposing team initiated a fastbreak after stealing the ball. I gave chase, thinking that I won't give them an easy basket. I caught up with Ron, who got ready to lay up the ball. Right on cue for a swat...

Or so I thought.

By then, I've blocked two shots. They were already cautious with the way they shoot. And so Ron faked the lay-up, and I was already in mid-air, surprised that he didn't lay the ball up.
Bad thing was his back caught up with my leg, which caused my body to turn 180 degrees and fall 90 degrees.

Half a second later, my lower back slammed against the concrete floor, followed by my two elbows. Ouch. It was a 3-foot drop or so; maybe only two... but it hurts. It hurt so bad, I wasn't able to stand for a minute or two.

Back in grade school, I had a similar experience. I clinged on a pipe, imagining I was dunking. The plan was to grip and cling, but I slipped, slammed to the ground the same way, and broke both elbows. My right elbow was able to recover after an hour, but my left elbow had to be slung to my arm thanks to a crack 2 centimeters long.

More than a decade later, I became afraid of reliving that experience. Plus, my lower back felt like it really took a blow.

Thankfully, I was able to stand and play after a few minutes. I got shaken, but it wasn't so bad.

Moral Lesson: Drink your milk. You'll never know when you'll get your 3-foot drop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home