Life in the Eyes of John

A blog on life, love, people, cars, and everything I can think about...

Friday, December 17, 2004

A New Hope

After attending our company's annual report, I felt that I need a change of heart. You see... like the rest of us, I always look forward to a fatter paycheck (and so do you... admit it!). It's the thought of "do this, do that," and then take what is due.

What I've been failing to see is how I have to be more. Sure, I may have a fatter payslip, but does that make me more than what I am? Did I improve? Did I learn more? Do I know more than an hour ago?

I've been wanting to find comfort sooner than later. Who doesn't? I guess everyone has a dream of settling down in a dream space with nothing to worry about. I guess people want to take it easy sooner or later. It's the wish of striking gold faster, right?

But what if there was more to than living the easy life? Go ahead and be fat with money, but will that make you more than what you are?

There is hope. God gave each and every one of us talents -- talents that, with the right amount of blood, sweat and tears, will grow to something that will be of use to the entire human race. Okay... so maybe we're looking into the stars... but remember, in order to reach a destination, one must first take a step.

I have to admit that I've been searching, longing for a fatter payslip. Sometimes, it even comes to points where I slow down at work because of the thought of "I want to be payed more."

What I failed to notice is that my personal growth slowed down. The geekiness somewhat died whenever I dream of larger rewards. Perhaps it's time to stop looking at my paycheck, and do what I should -- to grow.

Koree was right. It's not about the payslips; it's about your output to society that truly matters. When your mind has opened to that, you won't feel your rather mediocre payslips anymore. You will only want to be more, to be above everyone else.

And when that happens, you'll just think that your growing paycheck is a mere side effect. Isn't that a happy thought?

So for now, I just have to keep studying. Hopefully, by next year, I would learn the depths of ABAP and Java. Certification follows afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home