Life in the Eyes of John

A blog on life, love, people, cars, and everything I can think about...

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Why, Mazda, Why?

For two days in a row, I've been doing 21++km on the stationary bike. I'm not really happy with my 180-pound frame. Yep... I'm overweight for someone who reiterates that weight is the enemy.

One teacher of this philosophy is Mazda. They kept on telling us in their ads that weight is the enemy. I agree. Lighter cars mean nimbler, quicker cars.

Then why, oh why did Mazda bring in the Mazda3 with 1310 kilograms?!? That's more than 200 kilos heavier than the competition (Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi...) has for the same class! Not only that... they only placed 100 horses under the hood! Sure they got all-disc brakes and stabilizer bars, but 1310 kilograms for a 1600 model is too much.

But I have to admit that it looks good. In and out, even beneath the hood, everything looks good and neat. The 17-inch wheels look so good, you'll think it's fast. There's a lot of plastic covering the engine components neatly, then there's the boot (er, trunk) with all the tools neatly covered up. Then there's also the smooth, sporty interior, although I have to note that it's not so roomy for a guy like me (at 5'8"). The dash is good-lookin', retro-meets-techno with three rings separating the tach, speedo, and other gauges. Despite all the style, my head labels it a for-show-car-only.

What's up with Mazda, anyway? Why don't they blow apart the competition by bringing in what really counts? Chop off all that excess weight, then shove in a stronger engine. Then fix the legroom, especially at the rear (I'm telling you... my knees suck to be back there...). I'm glad with style, but I'm happier with physics.

Rating: 3/10. If I get a test-drive, and if I get a good feel with it, I'll change my rating. For now, all three points are for the style of the Mazda3. In the end, Mazda can't sell me this car, even if I had the money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home