Life in the Eyes of John

A blog on life, love, people, cars, and everything I can think about...

Monday, August 09, 2004

Project '73 Lancer - Part 3: Browse-While-Saving Phase

Payday's around the corner (of the week), and I'm glad I was able to save much from the last payday. I'm still wondering though if I can still remain this way... being able to save more than half of my salary every fifteen days.

I should be studying right now, but there's a small rebellion inside my head. So I guess that's a sign to write stuff on my blog.

I remember giving a guy selling a '76 Lancer a ring last week. It was a 2-door, L-type coupe, as advertised - exactly the car I was looking for. The online ad (see link to the right) mentioned that it was for sale for P32,000 negotiable.

When I talked to Russel (the guy selling the car), he informed me that it was a daily driver, had strong aircon, and with good body condition. He also told me that he was disposing of the car because he is joining the navy. Right there and then, he offered to sell the car for P25,000, and informed me that he will be leaving by next month.

Whoa!

But something scared me though, so I went to ask a few more questions.

J: Ok. So what's the displacement of the engine?
R: Huh?
J: Ano bale size ng makina?
R: Uhm... hindi ako sigurado e.
J: Kasi alam ko, may 1200, 1400, at 1600 versions 'yan.
R: Ahh... bale 1400 'to, good condition. 'Di pa ko tinitirikan nyan...

Okay, I thought. I'll be replacing the engine in a year's time anyway, so that ain't much of a problem. Next set of questions...

J: Tapos ano'ng transmission nyan?
R: Uhm...
J: Ilang speed?
R: Ah! Bale four-speed...

Oh no. Now that's the catch. I don't mind a 1400 engine, but four gears isn't enough for me. In fact, I wish there'd even be a six-speed '76 Lancer. Sure, I'd be shifting less, but considering fuel economy and acceleration, I need closer gear ratios only a five- or six-speed can provide.

But I can replace that, too! In fact, I was thinking of getting the tranny of a Silvia S15, which happens to be a six-speed, and mate it with Mitsubishi's revered 4G63. That way, I get so many horses running on an optimum powerband.

But optimum performance means optimum spending. *sigh* So I opted to let it go first.

Just this morning, as I popped open Buy and Sell Online, I saw a '78 Lancer worth P32,000. Good thing about it is that it's five-speed.

Ding! Five-speed means that the tranny is mated with a 1600 engine. Ding! Which means that it is the GSR version (sports version). Ding! Which means 100 horsepower (well... minus aging...) on a 865-kilo platform with 5 gears. Ding! Which means a power-to-weight ratio of 11.56 (again... minus aging)! Sum it up, and you get dirt-cheap performance with minimal modifications!

Catch is that: 1. I guess there will be a lot to fix, and 2. I think it's not the L-type Lancer.

Oh well... we'll just have to see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home